Friday, October 17, 2008

the naked house by Shigeru Ban Architects


I'm waiting for the subway. It's 4am and all I want is my bed and an open window. Will I pull the trigger onto the train tracks or try to make it back with some honor? Those are my only concerns. So, in this preoccupation, I felt surprised when the conductor announced 125th street. That is not where I want to be. I want to be at Fulton street, on the opposite side of Manhattan. I had caught the wrong train heading the wrong direction.

No biggie, I'll just catch one back. But I'm on the wrong side of the track now. I need to be on the other side. Which means I need to walk to the stairs, go up them, walk over, and go down the stairs. At 415am, feeling slow and ready to lose weight, this is near impossible. I'd really like to just jump down to the tracks, walk five yards across, and be there!

Can you relate? Sure you can! Everyone has been at some park where a bunch of kids are playing soccer and you've got to walk all the way around their game to get someplace. It's terrible. Now, the same can be said for houses right? I hate having to go around walls to get some place. I want to walk straight to what I need (usually the fridge), and not in any weird or curvy path.

The answer? I give you the "Naked House" by Shigeru Ban Architects. And this completely blew my mind when I saw it. It's just wild. They have given their client a house which is an aesthetically appealing, rather beautiful-looking, rectangular warehouse. And like a jet hanger, there's not much structure inside. No walls, no hallways, and no stairs to tell you where you can and can't walk.


Instead, through the glory of creativity, you have these giant boxes on wheels that turn into bedrooms, studies, or whatever that can be arranged however you like. It's a different take on creating a worthwhile, pleasing space. The area can evolve. It can turn into a rollerblading rink. Do what you will! Learn more from the architect himself here.

No comments: