Tuesday, October 7, 2008

modern house deja vu



So I've begun to notice that modern houses look the same.

There are the stick variety with thin posts and light foundations. They remind me of Philip Johnson's Glass House. Open, visible, and almost universally able to sit in natural environments. Because they aren't autonomous structures, they work with their surroundings. They're minimal, and I like that.

Another kind of modern house is completely opposite. It's very bold with dominating features. Certain walls or roofs are heavily stressed. The California Dreams house that I wrote about earlier is a good example of this. Another good example is this one featured at Dwell.com. Even these have a certain allure in their strict, geometric forms.

To bring this down to the grassroots level, how does this all affect me? Well, it's given me a starting point. When I sketch, do I begin thinking geometrically and try to create beauty with appealing forms? Or, am I trying to create a different beauty? I have to be honest here, most of what I sketch is very easy to dream up and create. It's mostly those bold types of houses that stress specific elements for no real purpose. Sure it may look decent but it's pointless.

I really want to avoid the novelty of trends and fashion. But it's hard... So as a personal goal, I want to put beauty aside for my next house design and see if, out of function, comes beautiful form.

No comments: