Monday, October 27, 2008

a brand new inspiration (and two rock-garden-like sketches)



The Empire State Building is lit green tonight! Hulk green. Secret of the Ooze green.

Anyway, the creative rumblings I wrote about over the weekend haven't amounted to anything. Inspiration troubles me. And I want to think this one out a bit...

Should I beat myself up at being unable to produce great-looking buildings (at least on paper or SketchUp) right now? Is that creative quality just not there? I should specify the "creative quality" here as pure and producing completely new designs/ideas. We're talking about the first guy to say, "I'm going to squeeze these things hanging off this big cow animal and drink whatever comes out."

But even that example clouds the issue. My concern isn't being the first for the sake of novelty. Anyone can do something wildly original. What I really want is to produce a good design. And thinking back, I feel best about the sketches or models which have focused on making one particular quality the best it can be.

This quality, for me, has usually been a view. I've been lucky enough to see very beautiful places. So imagining a scenic ocean, a beautifully intricate city, giant redwoods, serene lakes and mountains is often my inspiration. I'm most happy with my designs when they allow for a great way to see these places.

And yet, I can't use the same formula every time. I'd be telling the same joke over and over and that's silly. I'd get bored. So a new perspective is needed here. A new way to think about starting. A new way to conceive of creating pleasuring, enhancing spaces. More thought on this to come...

No comments: