Tuesday, September 23, 2008

sculpture is like architecture right?


I watched a documentary about I.M. Pei and boy was it great. The guy shook nuggets of wisdom from his pants like a deer.

Those famous architects like Pei who've done enormous and intricate projects really leave me feeling inadequate. His symphony hall in Dallas can be viewed at so many different angles and they all seem to work.

Another architect that has honed his aesthetic appeal is Frank Gehry. Buildings like the Dancing House make me giggle and grin. And what other building (besides other Gehrys) look like the Disney Concert Hall?

In the documentary, Pei remarked that many of his friends (fellow artists) are sculptors. He sees architecture as a form of sculpture with a specific purpose. Certainly Gehry could be labeled a sculptor of sorts.

I.M. Pei and Frank Gehry are abnormal architects. In world of boxy, functional and purposeful buildings theirs stand starkly apart. The Louve pyramid (I.M. Pei's) stares cross eyed at its awed viewers and says, "Sup? You checkin' me out?" Not many buildings say that...

What I've taken from master Pei is this, architecture is an art. It should be likened to sculpture and should strive for beauty. In order of mention:

1 comment:

katy said...

i am loving that second building that's all curvy, reminds me of that picture of those drooping clocks. cool stuff!