Tuesday, September 30, 2008

cranes, construction, drizzle castles and Lego's


Ask your parents or anyone when they realized that their job was the one for them. And if it's a depressing topic... mmm, don't ask.

Thinking back, here's how I viewed architect:

As a youngster big buildings fascinated me. How could they be so big and how do people build those? Something else, a sort of scenic image comes to mind. Cranes. Orange cranes, red cranes, yellow, white and blue cranes. Silhouetted in the distance. Rising above steel and concrete.

Building, construction yards like that always made me feel good. It made me feel like I was right in the action (even though I was just looking in). It's progress. It's something happening. And I never fully realized how significant this feeling was until I didn't see it. I'd visit some city or town that had no cranes and everything seemed duller and grayer and sadder. It wasn't happening there. Nah mean?

Kind of silly, but this isn't: drizzle castles. And the best ones (I don't know this for sure) are made in Hawaii. The sand is finer and so its globs are more precise and it makes for a wonderful castle. I used to do this quite a bit and those drizzle castles are probably some of my first constructions.

Then there are Lego's. My favorites were the tree pieces. I would make a tree that had living space inside but allowed for branch access up top. Then I throw in those leafy web ones and full sail! Sometimes I'd have Little John sitting up there waiting to ambush with Robin Hood's Merry Men. Throw in a couple babes and that tree was hoppin'!

So if you've read this far, why not comment? I'd love to hear about how your childhood may or may not have shaped what you're doing now.

No comments: